The Bank aspires to be a world-class central bank with the highest standards of corporate governance and professional excellence.
The mission of the Bank of Botswana is to contribute to the sound economic and financial well-being of the country. The Bank seeks to promote and maintain:
- monetary stability;
- a safe, sound and stable financial system;
- an efficient payments mechanism;
- public confidence in the national currency;
- sound international financial relations;
and to provide:
- efficient banking services to its various clients; and
- sound economic and financial advice to Government.
As set out in the Bank of Botswana Act (Cap 55:01, section 4), the Bank has the following principal objectives:
(a) first and foremost to promote and maintain monetary stability, an efficient payments mechanism and the liquidity, solvency and proper functioning of a soundly based monetary, credit and financial system in Botswana;
(b) secondly, in so far as it is not inconsistent with the objectives set out in paragraph (a), to foster monetary, credit and financial conditions conducive to the orderly, balanced and sustained economic development of Botswana; and
(c) thirdly, to assist insofar as it is not inconsistent with the objectives as set out in paragraphs (a) and (b), in the attainment of national economic development goals.